For a busy year of kids, traveling, work and everyday madness – we certainly squeezed in quite a few books this year! What did we read in 2019? And what do we plan on reading in 2020?!? Here’s the recap!
This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase from a link, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please read the Disclosure Policy for details.
Our last book *wine* club night was the weekend of Thanksgiving this year, and finished out year eleven of book club meetings! Slightly unusual for us to meet on a Sunday afternoon – but calendars were tight and this date worked for everyone so we went with it. I
Here are the six books we read in 2019:
- Educated – Tara Westover
- My Dear Hamilton – Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie. If you read the book or saw the play and wanted to know more about Eliza this is the book for you!
- Becoming – Michelle Obama. No matter what your view of politics, how her family bonds started in the neighborhoods of Chicago and her
- Where the Crawdads Sing – Delia Owens.
- Mrs. Everything – Jennifer Weiner.
- Cilka’s Journey – Heather Morris. If you haven’t read “Tattooist of Auschwitz” I would recommend reading this first as Cilka is part of the original book and you will read more of her journey in this novel.
Book Club 2020
Excited for the new decade and we are already set for 2020! These were added to our Christmas lists so we could have a jump on 2020 reading selections. Planning our first book club date in the 20’s!
- The Chain – Adrian McKinty. I’m l
ookingforward to this read, different style and storyline then what we usually pick, the cover states “This book is the Jaws for parents”.
- The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek – Kim Michelle Richardson. Set in 1930s Kentucky’s pack-horse librarians promoting literacy and “blue people” in the hills of the Appalachian.
- Ask Again, Yes – Mary Beth Keane. Already snuck this book in this month; a good read on friendships, family, co-workers, mental health and the paths taken
Reading Beyond Book Club
I also have a “small” pile of books waiting for me. Ok, somewhat “large and continues to grow” pile of books. Some of these are bookstore finds, some library finds. I am looking forward to starting and/or finishing them this year.
- Maid – Stephanie Land. Hard work, low pay and a mother’s will to survive.
- The Guest Book – Sarah Blake. I have had this book on my list for quite some time and finally treated myself to it!
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone – Lori Gottlieb. This was on another book club list of mine and we start reading this month.
- Exposure – Robert Bilott. Currently one of my
libraryfinds, and part of the backstory on the movie, Dark Waters, currently in theaters.
- Before and After – Judy Christie & Lisa Wingate. I really want to read this one, based on the book “Before
Yours“ highlights WeYour real lifestories of the adoption scandal the novel was based on.
- All the Missing Girls – Megan Miranda
- The Alice Network – Kate Quinn
- A Beautiful Day – Fred Rogers. We’ve seen the movies and I can always find time for an uplifting read from Mr. Rogers.
One of my goals this year is to keep better tabs on my reading lists – I had my Goodreads 2019 recap and missed a few of our book club selections! Even with the missing books I always love seeing what I escaped in during the past year. Forgot I even read a few of these – and would read them all again!